The Realtek RTL8191SU-GR is a highly integrated single-chip MIMO (Multiple In, Multiple Out) Wireless LAN (WLAN) USB 2.0 network interface controller complying with the IEEE 802.11n specification. It combines a MAC, 1T2R capable baseband and RF in a single chip, the RTL8191SU-GR provides a complete solution for a high-performance wireless client.
The RTL8191SU-GR baseband implements Multiple Input, Multiple Output (MIMO) Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) with one transmit and two receive paths (1T2R). Features include one spatial stream transmissions, short Guard Interval (GI) of 400ns, spatial spreading, and support for both 20MHz and 40MHz channel bandwidth. The RTL8191SU-GR provides spatial stream Space-Time Block Code (STBC) to extend transmission range. As a receiver, extended range and good minimum sensitivity is achieved by having receiver diversity via 2 antennas.
For legacy compatibility, Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS), Complementary Code Keying (CCK) and OFDM baseband processing are included to support all IEEE 802.11b, and 802.11g data rates. Differential phase shift keying modulation schemes, DBPSK and DQPSK with data scrambling capability are available, and CCK provides support for legacy data rates, with long or short preamble. The high speed FFT/IFFT paths, combined with BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, and 64QAM modulation of the individual subcarriers, and rate compatible punctured convolutional coding with coding rate of 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and 5/6, provide the higher data rates of 54Mbps and 300Mbps for IEEE 802.11g and 802.11n MIMO OFDM respectively.
The RTL8191SU-GR builds in an enhanced signal detector, an adaptive frequency domain equalizer, and a soft-decision Viterbi decoder to alleviate severe multi-path effects and mutual interference in the reception of multiple streams. For better detection quality, receive diversity with Maximal-Ratio-Combine (MRC) applying up to two receive paths is implemented. Robust interference detection and suppression are provided to protect against Bluetooth, cordless phone, and microwave oven interference.
Receive vector diversity for multi-stream application is implemented for efficient utilization of the MIMO channel. Efficient IQ-imbalance, DC offset, phase noise, frequency offset, and timing offset compensations are provided for the radio frequency front-end. Selectable digital transmit and receive FIR filters are provided to meet transmit spectrum mask requirements and to reject adjacent channel interference, respectively.
The RTL8191SU-GR supports fast receiver Automatic Gain Control (AGC) with synchronous and asynchronous control loops among antennas, antenna diversity functions, and adaptive transmit power control functions to obtain better performance in the analog portions of the transceiver.
The RTL8191SU-GR MAC supports 802.11e for multimedia applications, 802.11i for security, and 802.11n for enhanced MAC protocol efficiency. Using packet aggregation techniques such as A-MPDU with BA and A-MSDU, protocol efficiency is significantly improved. Power saving mechanisms such as Legacy Power Save, U-APSD, and MIMO power saving reduce the power wasted during idle time, and compensate for the extra power required to transmit MIMO OFDM. The RTL8191SU-GR provides simple legacy and 20MHz/40MHz co-existence mechanisms to ensure backward and network compatibility.
- CMOS MAC, Baseband MIMO PHY, and RF in a single chip for IEEE 802.11b/g/n compatible WLAN
- 1x2 MIMO technology for extended reception robustness and exceptional throughput
- 144.4Mbps receive PHY rate and 72.2Mbps transmit PHY rate using 20MHz bandwidth
- 300Mbps receive PHY rate and 150Mbps transmit PHY rate using 40MHz bandwidth
- Compatible with 802.11n specification
- Backward compatible with 802.11b/g devices while operating at 802.11n data rates
- Complies with USB 2.0
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n compatible WLAN
- IEEE 802.11e QoS Enhancement (WMM)
- IEEE 802.11h TPC, Spectrum Measurement
- IEEE 802.11i (WPA, WPA2). Open, shared key, and pair-wise key authentication services
- Cisco Compatible Extensions (CCX4)
- Frame aggregation for increased MAC efficiency (A-MSDU, A-MPDU)
- Low latency immediate High-Throughput Block Acknowledgement (HT-BA)
- Long NAV for media reservation with CF-End for NAV release
- PHY-level spoofing to enhance legacy compatibility
- MIMO power saving mechanism
- Channel management and co-existence
- Multiple BSSID feature allows the RTL8191SU to assume multiple MAC identities when used as a wireless bridge
- Supports Wake-On-WLAN via Magic Packet and Wake-up frame
- Transmit Opportunity (TXOP) Short Inter-Frame Space (SIFS) bursting for higher multimedia bandwidth
- Complies with USB Specification 2.0
Supports Full-speed (12Mbps) and High-speed (480Mbps)
- General Purpose Input/Output (8 pins)
- 4-wire EEPROM control interface (93C46)
- Two configurable LED pins
- Configurable Bluetooth Coexistence Interface.
- IEEE 802.11n MIMO OFDM
- One Transmit and Two Receive path (1T2R)
- 20MHz and 40MHz bandwidth transmission
- Short Guard Interval (400ns)
- DSSS with DBPSK and DQPSK, CCK modulation with long and short preamble
- OFDM with BPSK, QPSK, 16QAM, and 64QAM modulation. Convolutional Coding Rate: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, and 5/6
- Maximum data rate 54Mbps in 802.11g and 300Mbps in 802.11n.
- OFDM receive diversity with MRC using up to 2 receive paths. Switch diversity used for DSSS/CCK.
- Hardware antenna diversity.
- Selectable digital transmit and receiver FIR filters
- Programmable scaling in transmitter and receiver to trade quantization noise against increased probability of clipping
- Fast receiver Automatic Gain Control (AGC)
- On-chip ADC and DAC